Not everyone makes a New Year’s resolution, but the people who do usually focus on health and wellness. Last year, 23 percent of Americans aimed to live healthier in the new year, making it the most popular resolution in 2022, according to Statista. As an indie author, it’s great to concentrate on your 2023 business strategies, but to maintain or exceed your productivity, you might benefit from adding wellness goals as well.
Make Wellness a Priority
Creating goals to counteract health risks associated with sitting can help protect physical and mental well-being in the long term. According to the Mayo Clinic, extended time sitting and working on a computer can result in:
- Eye strain
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Tension headaches
- Neck, back, and shoulder pain
- Weight gain
- High blood pressure
These issues could impair creativity and lead to additional health concerns if not addressed.
Most indie authors have endless to-do lists, so why not make a not-to-do list? Like our characters, what makes us happy or inspires us can change. However, the best-laid writing plans may go astray when virtual tasks take all your time, fill you with negativity, or drain your creative energy.
Most of us don’t write a novel overnight. Instead, we write chapter by chapter and can plan to do the same with our health using measurable, achievable wellness goals. Decide what you want to reduce or eliminate, then create specific goals for your physical and mental well-being, such as:
- I won’t overschedule; I’ll plan specific days or times to keep open.
- I won’t overindulge in junk food, alcohol, or negativity.
- I won’t sit for more than (#) minutes at a time.
- I won’t sleep fewer than (#) hours a night.
- I won’t drink more than (#) caffeinated beverages a day.
- I won’t spend more than (#) minutes or hours on social media a day.
- I won’t forget to celebrate every success
Remember that habits take time to form or break, so maintain a positive mindset. If you get off track, start fresh. Think of how often you might rewrite a chapter or a sentence until you get it just right. You don’t give up on your writing, so don’t give up on yourself and your health goals easily. Keep at it, and before long, you’ll be well on your way to forming healthy habits that last.